I was tagged by the lovely Polished and Inspired at the start of the month to do this tag, and silly me didn’t see the tag. It’s not very often I do tags any more, I feel like most of them ask the same questions that I’ve already answered, but I really liked her questions and after 4 days of essentially being snowed in, I felt like a nice easy question session whilst sippin’ in tea was what was in order.
- Why did you start blogging?
There was a couple of reasons. 1) I was fed up of trying to find reviews of products I wanted to try and couldn’t, then buying them finding out they were crap and wasted my money – I wanted to help people find that review! 2) We’d moved back in with Ben’s parents whilst we were saving for our mortgage deposit, to begin with I was a purely nail polish blog (lol, I know how often do you see a nail polish review round these parts any more?!) and it was a way to blog my way through my collection and not spend money. It worked… for a while.
- What does a perfect day entail?
Oooh that’s a tough one – my perfect day would probably be abroad either in New York or Bali. But if it was a realistic one, it would be a sunny day that’s warm but not hot – the morning starts with croissants and a lazyish hour or two at home, before walking the dogs with Ben – probably at the beach, I love taking them to the beach. Before coming home and watching a good rom-com at home with Steak for dinner, or over at my parents house with my sister and her partner.
Christmas is usually my perfect day – family + board games.
- What’s your earliest memory?
My childhood memory is pretty fuzzy, when people recite loads of stories about their childhood I’m like how did you remember all that?! It’s part of the reason I now really enjoy blogging – especially travel and lifestyle stuff as my longterm memory is not good any more! So I’ll list my few standout memories, two of which are weirdly similar:
1) Soaking off my stitches after my hip operation in the bath at home with a nurse remember it being the most painful thing ever
2) Being around 2 and a half and in Belgium in a Center Parcs type place and playing in the pool filling a coke bottle up with water and emptying it back into the pool.
3) My uncle has lived in Switzerland since before I was born and my cousins etc are Swiss. We visited one summer and I remember it being really warm and we were exploring their home city of Zurich in the evening. We were running through the streets having waterfights – again with empty bottles of coke with waters from fountains etc as we came across them.
4) Not long before my Grandma died we went to stay at her house for a week – there were two parts of this trip which I remember so distinctly – Princess Diana died whilst we were there, me and my sister woke up early and there was nothing on the television, when my Gran woke up she asked what we were doing as we were causing general chaos in the house because there was nothing on TV, when we told her Diana had died and there was nothing else on TV she didn’t believe us and after about 20 minutes she checked and apologised to us!
The other memory from this trip was that I got downstairs to find my gran in her teal silk pyjamas (a distinct memory) and it was about midday, I asked why she was still wearing her pjyamas and she told me we were having a PJ day – so I ran back upstairs and put mine back on, when my Mum and Dad found me wearing Pjs they went absolutely mad at me and my gran had to apologise for letting me get changed again!
5) I have so many memories with my sister and our Best Friend Jo, we were pretty much never not with her over the weekends and the summer holidays. We were often found playing crash bandicoot on the playstation or playing ‘evacuees’ pre-10 years old. Let’s not go into the stuff we got into from secondary school – but had youtube been around when we were 11, lets just say we would have been producing mini dramas on youtube, there is a hell of a lot of embarrassing videos of us.
- Do you (or would you) share your passwords with a significant other, and why or why not?
We both know each others passwords for most things (or at least have good guesses at what variants would be). I think it’s important because we both trust each other and we got bills to pay if something happens to one of us!
- What was your favourite cartoon as a kid?
Ooh I really had to think about this. Probably Pokemon?
- If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?
I always wanted to change the spelling of Rachael as a teen to Rachelle – who knows why, I think I was just trying to be different. I actually wouldn’t want to change it now, there’s not many people in the UK called Rachael. I do already have names I love though for future children, I just wouldn’t change my own!
- What are five things you like about yourself?
I like to think of myself as; Loyal, Hardworking, Creative, Persistant and I’d probably help you hide a body.
- What’s one thing you would change about yourself?
Probably as I’ve mentioned my long-term memory is pretty poor, short term it’s unfaulterable, but I wish I had a better long-term memory, those are the ones I want to keep!
- You get an all-expenses paid vacation to anywhere in the world (can only choose one place) with no budget. Where would you go and what would you do?
That’s tough – because I don’t know whether to choose Bali – my absolute favourite place I’ve ever been or pick somewhere else off my hitlist. I’d probably pick somewhere new in Asia, but it’s tough narrowing it down to which, I’d probably pick Japan and stay in the most expensive technological advanced hotel as possible – pick something you’d only find in Japan. There’s so much I want to do in Japan from the cities to the countryside.
- What made you choose your job/profession (or major if you’re still in school)?
I knew I wanted to do something creative, I was good with computers – Web Design was a natural fit! And yes, after 4 years of avoiding building my own blog, it’s finally happening, I’m going self hosted.
- Would you rather be a great singer, or a great dancer?
Great singer, I love singing along in the car to stuff and it would be nice if I actually could sing in tune. Very occasionally I belt out something in tune and it takes me by surprise.
- What fictional place from a book or movie do you wish existed?
Hmm – that’s tough, I love the world that is created in the Hunger Games, but would I necessarily want it to exist? Hell no that place sounds horrendous.
- Is there anything you’ve tried that you would never do again?
Wall Climbing/Go Ape type stuff, its something I would love to do, but my dodgy hip just isn’t cut out for that kind of stuff – it’s left me in tears of pain in the past when I’ve tried to do stuff like it.
- What personality trait do you wish you had?
The ability to be tidy (see below)
- Do you have any bad habits?
I’m incredibly untidy – anyone who knows me knows I have a tendency to ‘explode’ when I get places.
- What is your ideal meal?
Italian Food – all the italian food, cured meats, cheeses. Pizza, Pasta, Lasagne, Wine. Give me it all.
- Would you rather give up TV/movies for a year, or give up social media for a year?
Social Media, there’s no question.
- Are there any websites you visit every single day?
Other than my blog to check up on comments etc, not really. Websites I can be found on most often for shopping are ASOS & Beauty Bay.
- What makeup/fashion trend do you wish would come back?
Hmm, I love lots of vintage trends – I wish there were more vintage inspired dresses on the high street. I’d love to see those cargo style trousers which had velcro tassles hanging all over them – I feel like it’s only a matter of time before something like that comes back, if the Dior Saddle bag can come back, so can those gems.
- What celebrity or celebrities would you like to be friends with?
Rebel Wilson, Hugh Jackman (why is he so nice?!) & Harry Styles – so he could get Happy Birthday Rachael trending on my birthday instead of Happy Birthday Harry, name and birthday stealer.
- Do you believe in soulmates? Why or why not?
I do, but I don’t think there’s just one.
- What’s something that you want to see in your lifetime?
A more effective cure for cancer.
- What’s the best compliment you’ve ever gotten?
Hmm, two things – that my wedding was the best wedding someone had ever been to and he hoped his own daughters would be as good as ours, and that I’m hardworking.
- What is one thing in your life you wish you could do over?
I don’t think I would necessarily change anything – as it’s made me who I am and where I am in life now. Both of which I am perfectly happy with. I suppose if there was one I would re-do it would be not going to University, I didn’t love the experience and had a pretty shitty time, I wrote a post years ago about my university experience here – I walked away with some good friends from it, but ultimately I wouldn’t recommend anyone one to uni to do my course, I learnt more in my first week at work than I did my whole three year degree.
OR I would have listened to my friend in Uni when blogs and youtube were still a new thing and I was completely hooked on them, she kept telling me – you should do that – and I didn’t, could have had my own range in Superdrug by now haha.
- What is the most memorable book or movie that you’ve written or watched?
Ooh, that’s tough. Books, probably the Twilight series – it’s memorable not favourite, but it was a very defining read for me. The final movie was also a great cinematic moment for someone who had freshly read the books – when you watch the movie after reading the books the ending is entirely different, in the cinema it’s like “well this isn’t how the book” goes and you find yourself getting annoyed before realising it’s a brilliant twist to what would be a pretty snoozy ending for a movie, whilst it does work in book form.
Also Greatest Showman – no other film has made me feel like that in the cinema.
So there’s the 25 Questions – I’m not going to tag anyone specific, but in the comments let me know some of your answers to these questions! Thanks again to Polished and Inspired for tagging me, make sure you check out her blog if you aren’t already following.
Happy Friday y’all have a good weekend – if you’re in the UK in snowmageddon, stay safe.